If you are accompanying a rider as an escort, you do not need to be trained. An escort can be a friend or family member who would like to share in this special ride.
To ensure the safety and peace of mind of our passengers and their families, becoming a certified volunteer entails the following:
In order to become a certified volunteer, all candidates must:
1. Be at least 21 years of age.
2. Pass a background check. Applicants will be disqualified if they have any criminal records, sex offenses, and/or repeated motor vehicle violations in their report.
3. Sign an original copy of the Healing Rides Waiver Agreement .
4. Log a total of 6 hours of road time (as both a pedaler and passenger) with one of our trained volunteers. There will be a log book on location. Prior to certification, no one may take out a passenger other than a trainer or another volunteer. Wheelchair bikes must travel in a group of at least 2 bikes. Single wheelchair bikes must be accompanied by a third person riding a bicycle who is certified.
5. Trainee should satisfactorily perform all skills and be tested after training is completed.
Once all requirements are satisfactorily met, qualified volunteers will be listed on the Healing Rides Approved List of Volunteers.